From Jeanneret to Corbusier
The most outstanding buildings of architectural periods
of a great constructivist
Dedicated to providing better living conditions for the residents of crowded cities,
Le Corbusier was influential in urban planning, and was a founding member of the CIAM.
Charles-Édouard Jeanneret-Gris, who was better known as Le Corbusier, was a Swiss-French architect, designer, painter, urban planner, writer, and one of the pioneers of what is now called modern architecture. He was born in Switzerland and became a French citizen in 1930.
1917
1930
Purism
Purism wants to conceive clearly, execute loyally, exactly without deceits, it abandons troubled conceptions, summary or bristling executions. Purism fears the bizarre and the original. It seeks the pure element in order to reconstruct organized paintings that seem to be facts from nature herself. Purism does not believe that returning to nature signifies the copying
of nature.
Villa La Roche
La Roche-Jeanneret house, is a pair of semi-detached houses that was Corbusier's third commission in Paris. They are laid out at right angles to each other
Villa La Roche, also Maison La Roche, is a house in Paris, designed by Le Corbusier and Pierre Jeanneret in 1923–1925. It was designed for Raoul La Roche, a Swiss banker and collector of avant-garde art. Villa La Roche now houses the Fondation
Le Corbusier.
Maison La Roche is now a museum containing about 8,000 original drawings, studies and plans by Le Corbusier (in collaboration with Pierre Jeanneret from 1922 to 1940), as well as approximately, 450 of his paintings, 30 enamels, 200 works on paper, and a sizeable collection of written and photographic archives. It describes itself as the world's largest collection of Le Corbusier drawings, studies, and plans.

Villa Savoy
It is a modernist villa in Poissy, in the outskirts of Paris, France. It was designed by Swiss architects Le Corbusier and his cousin, Pierre Jeanneret, and built between 1928 and 1931 using reinforced concrete.
A manifesto of Le Corbusier's "five points" of new architecture, the villa is representative of the bases of modern architecture
Support of ground-level pilotis, elevating the building from the earth and allowed an extended continuity of the garden beneath. Functional roof, serving as a garden and terrace, reclaiming for nature the land occupied by the building. Free floor plan, relieved of load-bearing walls, allowing walls to be placed freely and only where aesthetically needed. Long horizontal windows, providing illumination and ventilation. Freely-designed facades, serving only as a skin of the wall and windows and unconstrained by load-bearing considerations.
1930
1947
International style
Corbusier lifted the bulk of the structure off the ground, supporting it by pilotis, reinforced concrete stilts. The second floor includes long strips of ribbon windows that allow unencumbered views of the large surrounding garden, and which constitute the fourth point of his system.

Pavillon Suisse
The building was designed to house the Swiss students at the Cité Internationale Universitaire in Paris. It consists of a single storey part and a four storey slab building on piloti. The pavilion summarises Corbusier's key ideas from the 1920s.
The Pavillon Suisse or Swiss pavilion was designed by Le Corbusier between 1930-1931 and is located at the Cité Internationale Universitaire, Paris.
The construction of this Pavilion was entrusted, without a competition, by the Committee of Swiss Universities to Le Corbusier and Pierre Jeanneret who at first refused to be charged with this commission. The manner in which their cause was handled by the Swiss federal authorities and the majority of Swiss public opinion at the time of the League of Nations Competition still lay heavy on their hearts.

Nevertheless, at the insistence of the Swiss universities, they threw themselves into the work and built the pavilion with a budget reputed by the president of the Cité Universitaire to be only half-sufficient (3,000,000.00 fr.)

Immeuble Clarte
Before incorporating visual aids Immeuble Clarté is an apartment building in Geneva designed by Le Corbusier and Pierre Jeanneret starting from 1928 and built in 1931-32.
It has eight stories and comprises 45 free plan units of diverse configurations and sizes. It is one of Le Corbusier's key early projects in which he explored the principles of modernist architecture in apartment buildings, which later led to the Unité d'Habitation design principle.
After it escaped demolition in the 1960s, the building was first renovated in the 1970s. After being again threatened with demolition in the early 1980s, in 1986 it was listed as a historic monument, and since 2004 it has been proposed for inscription on the World Heritage List.
1950
1965
Brutalism
The term does not derive from the word "brutal," but originates from the French béton brut, or "raw concrete," a term used by Le Corbusier to describe his choice of material. British architectural critic Reyner Banham adapted the term into "brutalism" (originally "New Brutalism") to identify the emerging style.
Notre Dame du Haut
The chapel of Notre Dame du Haut in Ronchamp, completed in 1954, is one of the finest examples of the architecture Le Corbusier and one of the most important examples of twentieth-century religious architecture. The chapel
is a working religious building.
The structure is made mostly of concrete and is comparatively small, enclosed by thick walls, with the upturned roof supported on columns embedded within the walls, like a sail billowing in the windy currents on the hill top.

In the interior, the spaces left between the walls and roof and filled with clerestory windows, as well as the asymmetric light from the wall openings, serve to further reinforce the sacred nature of the space and reinforce the relationship of the building with its surroundings. The lighting in the interior is soft and indirect, from the clerestory windows and reflecting off the whitewashed walls of the chapels with projecting towers.
The structure is built mostly of concrete and stone, which was a remnant of the original chapel built on the hilltop site destroyed during World War II. Some have described Ronchamp as the first Post-Modern building. It was constructed in the early 1950s.

National Museum of Western art
The National Museum of Western Art is the premier public art gallery in Japan specializing in art from the Western tradition. The Museum is located in the museum and zoo complex in Ueno Park in Taito, central Tokyo.
This popular Tokyo museum is also known by the English acronym NMWA (National Museum of Western Art).
Also look other articles about the innovators
in cultural world here
All images belong to their owners
Made on tilda.cc
Made on
Tilda